Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric says he is not in a rush to discuss his future after his slow start to the 2023/24 season.
The 38-year-old’s role was reduced last season as Carlo Ancelotti chose to keep him fresh for the team’s most important games, but the manager has started showing faith in the team’s younger players this season and has placed Modric on the bench for the majority of it so far.
This season, the Croatia veteran has started just four games in all competitions and has openly expressed his dissatisfaction with his limited minutes.
Despite the player’s dissatisfaction, Ancelotti has dismissed speculation that Modric could move during the winter transfer window saying: “I don’t think Modric is considering leaving in January. He is still very important and we are happy with him.”
Before Thursday’s defeat to Turkey, the Italian’s words were addressed to Modric, who was questioned if the manager’s assertion was correct, but the 38-year-old refused to be drawn on the matter.
“I wouldn’t want to get into that right now,” he told Dnevnik. “There’s still a long time to go until the winter and the end of the year, at my age it’s hard to predict anything in the long term.
“We have to go from game to game and we’ll see what the future will bring.”
On his situation at the club, Modric added: “I feel good, the situation is a little different than before, actually since I’ve been in Real, but it’s a normal process.
“I’m eager to play, I played the last game in Real, I’m healthy, the desire is there and I’m looking forward to playing for the national team.”
Modric is currently on an international break with Croatia.